Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thirst For Lamb



It doesn't happen often, but when I get the urge for a Gyro I will travel to the ends of the earth (or at least the city) to get one. Unless, of course, I'm in the mood to make them from scratch. In this case, I did travel to the end of the city; to Pita's Mediterranean Wraps on the North side of Peoria.

Pita's makes their pita bread from scratch and bakes it in a brick oven. They are a bit thinner than a regular pita, and available in two sizes, 8" and 12." They were fresh and yeasty with the characteristic brick oven flavor; better than most pitas I had in central Illinois. I ordered the 8" gyro with a side of 3 falafel. The gyro came wrapped in foil and the falafel in a little paper boat, all of which were nested in a paper-lined plastic basket. I got rid of the foil, cut the gyro in half, and rescued the falafel from their greasy little boat which provided a much better presentation for the photograph. The gyro meat was standard fill, and the wrap as a whole wasn't very hot. I was disappointed/concerned about this, but I didn't get sick. On the other hand, the falafel were very hot and a bit greasy. The leading flavor of the falafel seemed to be nutmeg, which I though was a bit odd. I prefer falafel with a bit more herb and garlic flavor, but these were acceptable. The total meal was around $8.00, not including tip.

No comments: