Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dark Side of the Mojito


"Reality is an illusion that occurs due to lack of alcohol."
-Hemingway

If you are an avid reader of this blog you will notice that limes make an appearance over and over again. This is no accident, I'm afraid. In fact, I've often entertained the notion of moving somewhere closer to the limes, Costa Rica maybe. But this particular drink is more about fresh mint. A good friend brought me some, and I couldn't help but to think that a mojito was in order.

I'll cut to the chase:

6 Fresh mint leaves
1-2 tsp. Superfine Sugar
3 oz. Aged Rum - I prefer Flor de CaƱa from Nicaragua
1 Mexican Lime
Handful Crushed Ice


Place 6 mint leaves in the bottom of a Collin's glass (or other tall narrow glass). Add sugar and gently muddle. Add the juice of one lime and the rum. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the crushed ice and stir. Top with additional rum. Garnish with sprig of mint.

Notes: I don't garnish with lime wheels, which is traditional - besides their kitschy presence, have you ever tried to squeeze juice from them? You can (and should) reuse the mint to make another drink. Don't waste it! Also, the traditional drink is made with light rum, but I prefer the aged variety as it brings a more interesting flavor. I also use very little sweetener in my drink; you may find it necessary to add more sugar. And finally, it is common to top this drink with club soda, but I prefer to finish it with more rum; which I'm sure Hemingway, a connoisseur of the drink, would very much approve.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Hemingway...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111023962

mazr said...

Just came across your blog by way of Chef Kevin.

Good stuff.