Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Revisited...

As per usual, I work on New Year's Eve catering in some form or another. This year was no different in that respect, but very different in another. It was a chance to revisit a former employer and say hello to a few old friends. What was different, however, was the lack of old friends to say hello to. Things have greatly changed over the past few years - some for the good and some for the bad. I left the Gala with mixed feelings of happiness and longing. I sometimes miss the rush of the kitchen, working nights, and being the one behind the flambé station. But it's also pretty nice having health insurance, a pension, and the satisfaction of helping people rather than serving people. In any event, it was nice to be back in the midst of things, and I also snapped some nice photos.





2 comments:

Chef Kevin said...

Right there with you, Keith. I miss the "fight", but love the perks of the job I have now. However, after working many NYEs, Easters, etc. when the kitchen is most hectic, it is nice to be able to spend it on the dining room side of the place with family and friends.

Happy New Year!

Keith Shank said...

It is nice to be with your family during the holidays. Being in the kitchen, I've missed more than my share, but to see hundreds of people being fed quality food without a hitch is a marvelous thing - a true accomplishment. Unfortunately, I think cooks really do sacrifice themselves so that others (usually wealthier people) can feel important. It seems that some people enjoy the status more than the fillet. This alone is a major reason why I'm no longer cooking in the public scene.