Monday, October 29, 2007

And the Chili Fetish Continues...

Becka and I origionally purchased this chocolate bar as a novelty treat. It is a Swiss made bar from a company called Frey, and consists of 55% dark chocolate with generous chunks of chiles de árbol mixed in. As Becka noted, the combination of sweet and heat is underutilized in American culture. I concur.

Although the chiles were uniformly distributed throughout the bar, no single bite compared to my first. I was nearly overwhelmed by the fiery bite of capsaicin when the soothing chocolate came to the rescue. Obviously, this was no novelty bar. It just might be the best Swiss chocolate I've had the pleasure of consuming.

Normally, I'm a purist in the chocolate world. I don't think it should be adulterated with such things as citrus, mint, or (most commonly) dairy products. That said, I'm still curious about their lemon and black pepper chocolate...

This may appear to be a stock photograph. And I hope it does, because I've been practicing my chops at practical photography. Hopefully, I can sell some of my stock photographs and collect a few royalty checks (of course this one has logos and such, so it's of no use). But there are couple on my flickr site if anyone is interested. Also, this may have been the most challenging photograph I've ever taken due to the extremely reflective surface of the box and my lack of quality lighting equipment. I feel good about it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was some damn good chocolate. Also, it's apparently available only at Target, which seems.. weird.

Ms. PH said...

If you like that, I am sure you have seen the Vosges Haut Chocolat line of bars. They have wonderful flavor combinations like ginger, wasabi, black sesame seeds, and dark chocolate, which is my favorite.

Another good one is Oaxacan guajillo y pasilla chillies and Tanzanian bittersweet chocolate, which is just the right spice.

When I was living in Minneapolis, there was a local ice cream shop that sold dark chocolate ice cream laced with chili powder. So good!

Anonymous said...

I'm really intrigued by these unusual flavors with chocolate. I must try this stuff. Where did you find it?